Wednesday 12 December 2007

In with the Sharks

Yeah that's right, i went scuba diving with about 50 sharks....and no cage! Correct! It was absolutely insane and easily the scariest thing i have ever done. There were 3 large Tiger Sharks roaming about too - up to 4m in length and potentially very dangerous!! Thankfully they were more interested in the sardine bait than me. But for those of you who don't believe i did it, i have the DVD to prove it (with the image of me looking very seasick at the end!). Awesome!
I realised that i haven't put much on my blog about my work. Its difficult to describe how varied, interesting, relentless any one day can be. Suffice to say that the experience is amazing and so different to how and where i've worked before. Only this week i was looking after a 2yo boy who'd been bitten by a spitting cobra! His arm was terribly swollen and getting worse, but thankfully after a bit of anti-venom and elevating the arm i was able to transfer him to a big referral hospital in Durban (3 hours away) and he is alive and well! I've been in charge of Paediatrics occasionally as well as my usual Emergency work. The Paeds work can be so rewarding but with all the HIV infected kids its also pretty dispiriting. I have this adorable little boy with HIV on the ward who has posed for lots of photos, and i so hope the Anti-Retroviral Therapy works for him. With so many infected the future for South Africa can so often look bleak...i truly hope things change soon as this is a wonderful country. However, i'm not optimistic...

No comments: