Wednesday 23 January 2008

Chalk and Cheese

Wow i'm in my last week and the 6 months has flown by. I guess that's what happens when you work hard and play hard, but i just feel that i could maybe change a few things here if i were to stay.... Dream on! The reality is that i probably couldn't but many people have been saying nice things to me about my work here. We're hosting a party at my parkhome on Thurs as my farewell, lots of meat, music and Zulu honeys dancing with those great asses...nice!
The contrast here continues with last week the police bringing in a 19yo lady accused of abandoning her baby. The previous day a newborn was brought to the hospital with the placenta still attached, covered in mud having been found in the forest by a passer-by!! The baby amazingly was fine.. Then i was asked to see the accused mother. She initially denied everything, but after peer pressure from the nurses she admitted having given birth alone in the forest the day before! I felt so sorry for the poor girl who seemed very much alone in life, but she was given little sympathy by everyone else. Amazingly she too was completely well (physically, not psychologically) and i discharged her into the care of the SAPS (South African Police Service). Ahh the miracle of birth!!
In complete contrast i played golf last Sunday with a colleague. My swing is still pretty good even after a 2 year absence and i got a par on the first hole - much to my surprise. I gradually got worse from there on! That is a perfect example of life in South Africa, the difference between the haves and the have-nots is so vast it really is inconceivable.
Don't really know how to sum up living and working here, except to say it has been an amazing experience and one that will live with me forever.
Thanks all for reading, i'm sure i'll speak to most of you soon from Melbourne. Australia here i come....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the TV Digital, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://tv-digital-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.